Tuesday 5 December 2006

The Secret to Goal Achievement - Know Where You Are Going!



A friend of mine called me the other morning to ask what bus would take her to Sutton Street in Clerkenwell. I didn't know where Sutton Street was but I gave her directions to Clerkenwell. After I hung up the phone I decided to get more accurate travel information from Transport for London.

My search produced puzzling results. I knew that the directions I obtained by this method did not lead to Clerkenwell and so I checked my A-Z for Sutton Street. My results here further highlighted that an error had been made.

I called my friend to clarify precisely where she wanted to go as I didn't want to give her the wrong directions.

"Do you know the postcode of the address of where you're going? Sutton Street isn't in Clerkenwell."

"Oh!" she replied.
"Great Sutton Street is in Clerkenwell but it's ok. Rosie is going to give me a lift."

"Great Sutton Street! You told me Sutton Street."

"Is there a difference?" she asked feigning innocence.

"Yeah, a 'great' difference! The streets are miles apart!" We laughed.

What my friend did is what many of us do in our lives. We are not clear about what we want and then we are disappointed with the outcomes we achieve.

Worse yet, some people have no idea where they are going at all and end up wandering aimlessly through life feeling totally unfulfilled but knowing that something is missing. They have not identified their purpose in life, defined their vision or set clear goals.

Children's stories hold so much wisdom in them as these lines from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland illustrate:

"Alice came to a fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

This quote also highlights something else. When we are clear about our intended destination then the process of decision-making – something which many of us agonise over – becomes so much easier. When faced with various options, we can immediately assess whether or not our decision will take us in the direction of our goal. If not, then your decision is clear. It is as the international best selling author, Bob Proctor says, the art of using advanced decision-making.

So remember, clarity is POWER. The clearer you are about what you want the greater your chance of achieving it.


************************************************

Become the Ultimate Goal Achiever! Get your FREE series of 7 reports on aspects goal achievement written by the international best-selling author, Bob Proctor, direct to your inbox. Simply send an email to goal_achiever@ReportsNetwork.com. Once you subscribe you will immediately receive your first report – Purpose, Vision, Goals. This report alone has been helped thousands of individuals to gain clarity about their lives and has helped them to focus and direct their lives in a more meaningful and fulfilling way. So send off for your FREE reports today.

No comments:

Post a Comment