Saturday 25 July 2009

Abundance - What is Abundance

"Not what we have but what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
Epicurus

There's a special walk along the beach that I like to do first thing every morning when I'm in Barbados and last night, before I went to sleep. I asked myself what is my favourite part of that walk.

Is it the point where I actually enter the beach with the curiosity of an explorer from ages past, eager to discover what changes have taken place overnight?

Is it one of the spots which have fewer rocks to navigate and that are more suitable for swimming?

Is it the point where I glimpse those individuals who have come to regard me as one of them who wave or shout a greeting to me as I go by.

Is it the stretch of beach where I have to time my crossing so I can sprint across when the waves are not covering the many small rocks that could cause me to lose my footing?

Is it where I meet the crabs I nickname the "Replicators"? If you've seen the sci-fi series Stargate you'll know what I mean. In Stargate, the Replicators are advanced robots capable of reproducing themselves indefinitely and, in so doing they assimilate everything in their path. I assure you that the particular crabs I encounter are not nearly so sinister.

Is it the wooden platform in the sea where I do Pilates (when I'm in the mood) or where I simply watch the waves come crashing in? And where the sunlight from the rising sun hits the waves as they peak revealing the silvery bodies of teems of fishes that are otherwise hidden from view.

Is it where the sea searched its vast treasure trove for a gift just for me - a beautiful conch shell? The shell was so large that the sea gurgled with delight as it receded,

"She'll either see this or stumble over it!"

Perhaps it's the spot I call "The Zone". It's like stepping through an invisible portal. There's a place where you take a step forwards and suddenly everything sounds and even feels different. You step back and it's different. I swear it happens every time but I can't tell you the exact spot - that's my secret!

Or perhaps it's the point where, as I finally turn to leave the beach fish leap out of the water, their bodies glistening in the sunlight. They entreat:

"Don't go yet there's so much more to see. The show has only just begun."

The truth is I could go on and on. For me to choose my favourite part of that walk would be like asking me to choose my favourite grain of sand. For in truth there're an infinite number of moments where I feel at one with the beauty of this place and where I feel truly abundant. For I feel joy, peace, tranquillity, freedom and love and are these not the feelings of abundance?

But there are many ways in which to define abundance and next week is the start of the Virtual Abundance Expo where you can listen to more than 12 globally renowned thought leaders and luminaries such as Sir Richard Branson, Jack Canfield, Bob Proctor and Lisa Nichols discuss abundance in all its different guises. It's just $1 to participate. Get full details from the URL below:

Virtual Abundance Expo

No comments:

Post a Comment