Tuesday 30 January 2007

Goal Achievement: Believe to Achieve

Remember that old adage:

"Those who believe they can and those who believe they can't are both right."

Well, I started working with a new client recently and one of her early remarks to me was, "This may be too big for you to handle".

Fortunately, I didn't take her remark personally, as a reflection of my skills, so I simply responded, "Let me worry about that."

There are a few possible scenarios here. Let's treat this as a hypothetical case and call my client Susan. In the past, Susan may have tried various routes in an attempt to overcome her 'problem' with limited success. As time goes by, Susan's expectations have become jaded and she starts to believe that nothing will work.

However, it may be the case that, deep down, Susan does not actually want to change her situation. Even when all outward appearances suggest that a particular situation may be uncomfortable or painful for a person, the person in the situation is getting some sort of payback by allowing things to remain as is. As a result, Susan will sabotage any attempt to change.

Susan may also believe that she does not deserve any better in life and this belief will also cause her to sabotage any attempts to change.

For my part, I have to believe that I can successfully work with this client. Otherwise I'd be wasting my time and Susan will have yet another piece of evidence to support her "This won't work attitude."

I have to let Susan accept that she is worthy of the best in life and that certainly includes living her ideal life. I also need to let Susan see that to allow things to remain as they are is too costly an option.

Maybe you have a situation in your life you desperately want to change but, for some reason, are afraid to. You are clinging onto that piece of flotsam rather than striking out for shore.

What has holding on to this cost you thus far? What will holding to this way of life continue to cost you? Is this a price you're willing to pay?

If not, can you let go?

If your answer is yes, will you let go?

If your answer is yes, when?

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
Anais Nin

*********************************

Click HERE for a great selection of FREE gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment