Thursday 30 November 2006

Winning or Losing is a State of Mind


I recently read the mobile blog of a woman, whom I'll call Lisa, who had been fired form her job. It was clear from her entry that she felt somewhat demoralised and perhaps even victimised.

I sent her a message:

"What's good about your situation?"

Now, I recognised that Lisa might not have been in the right state of mind to properly consider this question.

"I've just lost my job! Christmas is around the corner and I've lost my main income. What do you mean what's good about my situation?"

At the same time I knew how important it was for her to start looking at the positive aspects of being fired and start re-building her career.

So what are some of the possible benefits of being fired? Being fired gives Lisa the opportunity to:

#Find a new and better job – better pay, location, responsibilities, hours, etc.,
#Re-evaluate her career path, maybe it's time to try something different even start her own business,
#Do things she could do while she was working, and
#Make new business and social contacts.

You see winning or losing is just a state of mind. If you find yourself in a less than ideal situation, turn it on its head and ask yourself what's good about the situation. I guarantee that with that attitude you will sail over life's speed bumps.


No comments:

Post a Comment